Monday, October 16, 2006

The Best Form of Flattery

Ask any working journalist, be it a writer for a multi-million selling national tabloid or a local free paper and they'll tell you the same thing: Hate mail is the best compliment you can receive.






In fact, it's that much of a compliment, your editor will probably ask questions of you if you didn't get any. He'd rather have the postman bring a bulging sack of letters from readers who absolutely despise anything you write than get the odd e-mail from readers telling him how lovely you are.

Hate mail shows that people are reading what you write and not only that, it shows you are getting a reaction. People don't complain if they agree with something, but they will sure as hell moan if they disagree. If you get a reaction, you get noticed, circulation increases, more people read your views and you get a bigger reaction - it's as close as an example of the snowball effect as a snowball rolling down a steep hill.

So I couldn't help but break a wry smile today when I notice a few extra comments in some of my article, all from the same person who to be perfectly honest, isn't in 100% agreement with what I've said in the past week or so.

Here's some examples, accompanied by my usual dismissive reaction:

In my "Big Brother phone trouble" entry:

Get off your high horse you self righteous PRICK!!!!Who the hell do you think you are patronising the great British public?
Self righteous prick? Patronising? I'm sorry if I've missed the boat here, but spending £1.50 per call on TV programme is entertaining, enjoyable and a productive use of time and money how exactly?

In my "DVD Bonus features" entry:
Why don't you go and buy your own DVD Mr award winning film maker! I hope there's no shitty extras with your 'bafta nominated' film!
Firstly, it wasn't a BAFTA, it was a First Light Film Award for "Best Comedy 2005". It just so happened I was the "Director of Photography" on the said prouction. Not quite a BAFTA granted, but not many 17/18 year old's could boast one of those. Secondly, there were no extras. In fact I've probably got loads of out-takes on disc somewhere. I might post them one day just for you if I can be bothered to look for it.

In my "Fat Northerners" entry:
Why don't you face the fact that you're a bunch of northern monkeys, incapable of understanding dietary advice.

From your picture you look like you could do with losing a few pounds yourself.

Oh dear. You caught me. Right! From now on, no more booze and no more 3:00am kebabs.


To be honest though, this is probably just the work of a wind-up artist. Given that the perpetrator's user profile is almost certainly a spoof of the current UK Transport Secretary Douglas Alexander.

Still, nice to know I'm hitting some nerves eh?

1 comment:

Gary said...

Oh, if only I could attract idiot comments like the ones you get, reading that persons one entry blog you just know that they are the bloke who sits in the corner of the pub tap room talking to himself all night and when he goes to the toilet everyone leaves.