Sunday, November 26, 2006

Keep on Running

I like to keep in shape now and again like a lot of people. I'll try to hit the gym twice a week at least and head off on a walk most days.





I'll even do a bit of running from time to time. The only difference is that when I run, I don't bring the whole of Leeds to a standstill.

Today was the Leeds "Abbey Dash". A race where competitors pay £15 to 'Help the Aged' to run from Leeds City Centre to Kirkstall Abbey and back again, about 10km or so. So today, after leaving for work at about 9:30, I'm met with various road closures and Lycra clad runners heading in the opposite direction.

That was inconvenience number one. After I'd dropped my brother off for work at a large cinema complex at Kirkstall, I then ventured into the City Centre. As I approached the outskirts, I expected the cones, but I also expected signs advising me where I could and couldn't go. The latter, not surprisingly given Leeds City Council's record when it comes to traffic and event management, didn't materialise.

Long story short, a 10 minute cut through the Leeds Tourist Trap (sorry, Leeds Loop Road) took some 25 minutes.

Next year I suggest the event take place along the Leeds Liverpool canal towpath. Should make it more interesting as the leading runners turn around and head towards the oncoming stragglers!

1 comment:

Gary said...

I too was caught in that lane-narrowin, lane denying inconvenience to 98% of the population of Leeds so that assorted anorexics could run around in the streets in their knickers and vest - I take solace in the fact, and it is a fact, that anyone who runs further than the necessary distance to catch a bus is bound to die before I do - its a fact, runners die young, and then their hearse will hold me up at Lawnswood