Sunday, June 24, 2007

Another addition to the list of 'Things I can't do very well'

Having stayed up till 5am this morning to watch Ricky Hatton pound his Mexican opponent into the canvas, today was always going to be a very lazy day.











And so having spent all day either in bed, or on the settee, it was time to do something at least remotely constructive.

And to the pool hall we set sail. This was the same pool hall where I had a run-in with a hypocritical Leeds City Council traffic warden last April. Said hypocrite handed me a penalty notice which a recent legal precedent has ruled it illegal, resulting in a nicely worded correspondence heading off to our local parking enforcement office - but that's another story.
At this time on a Sunday however, there is no parking restriction and so with our local authority's orange-clad brigade of vultures out of the picture, we had nothing to fear.

I was accompanied by my mate Oli (the one who was unwilling to change a tyre last week). Now we don't regularly go to pool, indeed my membership had expired, but rumour had it that Oliver was somewhat out of form and so I would provide the perfect opportunity to get back into the winning habit.

That is because I am completely shit at pool. My coordination skills are limited and rather than plan my shots with military precision, my tactics tend to involve hitting any available ball as hard as possible on the basis that a series of ricochets will down something.

In a first to eleven game, the losing margin was somewhere in the "11" area.

No comments: