Tuesday, April 18, 2006

One rule for one.......


On a lazy day off, I'd decided to head down to the local pool hall with a mate of mine. As I arrived, he'd just parked his car so I slotted in just behind him, completely minding my own business.

Anyway, I went to the front for a quick bite, when I saw the dreaded yellow sticket on the windscreen.
I ran out to the car to find I'd recieved a fine for that most heinous of crimes, 'parking on a single yellow line on a minor road between the hours of 8:30am and 6:30pm'.
Now I don't dispute the fine. As pathetic and as 'stealth tax on the motorist' as it might be, I was parked in somewhere I probably shouldn't have been and, due to a slight lapse, My mate and I are now £30 each lighter and the council has a little extra to spend at its next staff do. In fact, there were a few cars on that stretch. They've probably raked in about £150 in less than 3 minutes. Good work if you can get it.


However, to my suprise, whilst the council are all too quick to enforce these laws, they're even quicker to break them.
The very same traffic warden who was happily dishing out the tickets, also happened to be the owner of this 'ere vehicle:


Now, said parking attendant wasn't too happy at me innocently taking photographs of a vehicle that took my interests and he was even unhappier when I pointed out that I held the copyright to those photos to use them how I please, even if that was to point out Leeds City Council as the crooks that they are.
That last sentence might sound a bit harsh, and very much like a pissed off mototrist venting their anger, so it's probably worth backing that statement up further.
This employee happened to be working for the same organisation that last year painted double yellow lines UNDERNEATH a parked car, before then handing out a ticket. They've also been more than known for 'looking out for each other', with strong rumours that the Lord Mayor of Leeds had his ticket cancelled, despite parking where he shouldn't have.

He then sheepishly pointed to a sticker that he claimed gave him 'special dispensation' to blatently flout the regulations of the Road Traffic Act. On what grounds he 'earnt' that special dispensation I don't know, or on what grounds he was using it, but never mind.

So, Leeds City Council don't want to stick to the laws of the land, but they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks if you copied their example. Seems fair enough so I've just got one more parting guesture for those hypocrytics at LCC.....

1 comment:

Carps said...

I actually got done in the same spot myself (looks very like Northern Snooker centre?)

My car wasn't actually on the yellow lines. But the bumper was overhanging by a couple of inches. They've certainly got someone very, very keen working on this stretch...