Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Thank God I do't have to go through that again

Finishing Uni this year will have one extra silver lining, which until this morning I had completely erased from memory.








No more will I have to endure the mental torment that is the student finance form. That indignity is now going to befall my younger brother for the next four years.

Like all government forms, it's filled with needless questions and pointless sub-sections designed to confuse even the most hardened of administrators. Not only do they want your name, date of birth, inside leg measurement, favourite Culture Club record and hamster's maiden name, but inside the 423-page booklet you have a myriad of needless questions. I've absolutely no idea why student finance need to know if I'm a member of a religious house of order, but no doubt that information is vital to the eighteen civil servants whose job depends on that very question.

That's one of several things I can't say I'll miss about the higher education system.

2 comments:

Gary said...

oooh good, I've got that to go through with my eldest daughter in a few months, given my patience with all things governmental and form-filling it'll go in with just the name and address filled in and "Cash only please" in the "any more questions" box.

John_D said...

I'm sure I heard in the budget speech that the student loan book has been sold off to a private company. That doesn't bode well. Fortunately, I paid mine off long ago and the missus will finish paying hers this month.
I pity the poor buggers that will have to pay loans of at commercial rates (less half a percent as a sop to decency)