Monday, November 05, 2007

Bonfire Night

You can probably tell from the constant banging in the air, a distinct smell and the fact that your dog is cowering in the corner, but tonight is Bonfire Night.




It's not a day that particularly appeals to yours truly. I personally don't see the excitement in spending money on cheaply made, expensively sold boxes of fireworks and burning effigies of Catholics, but each to their own.

I especially don't get excited by doing those things when, if I felt it, I could walk around the corner to find that Leeds City Council have gone to the time and expense on my behalf, but that's not the point.

My younger brother wanted to invite his girlfriend round, and what better excuse than to light explosives in the back-yard? It was something to do and as long as it didn't cost me anything, I wasn't bothered.

So anyway, tonight comes and we've got food, beer and fireworks ready to be enjoyed in their respective ways.

In order to feel important, I assigned myself the job of setting things on fire in the garden. I did this because:
a) It gave me something to do other than get cold and
b) There was no way that I would allow my brother to have any responsibility over over-the-counter explosives.

So anyway, we spend a good hour or so working our way through the respective boxes, ooooh-ing and ahhhhhh-ing at the various patterns of chemical reactions and retreated inside for beer.

So now, I'm typing this wondering what to do next. It's currently half-time in a turgid game between Manchester City and Sunderland on Sultana TV so I may decide to re-watch last night's brilliant Top Gear.

I watched it last night after taping said episode due to my attendance at the Farsley Celtic vs York City clash last night, also televised on Sultana Sports - and I even managed to spot myself in the crowd. Not a disastrous performance from Farsley, who were caught out by a better team whilst chasing an equalliser and despite the harsh 4-1 defeat, there's bigger games to come - not least the relegation six-pointer at home to Altrincham.

No comments: