Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Cycling Makes Your Arse Hurt

In the latest installment of my 'get fit for summer' campaign, I set out on a leisurely bike ride. Whilst overall, the trek might have burned off a few calories, it's done absolutely nothing for my posterior.






After stuffing it in the garden shed, then leaving it at my Gran's for a good few years, I felt it right to get the trusty Raleigh Nitro out for a quick spin. It's something I'd planned to do since Uni shut up shop for the year but to start with, I couldn't really be bothered. After a little maintenance and a hefty Halfords carrier bag, she was finally ready for the road.
This morning I headed down to the Leeds - Liverpool Canal, which as far as I know, is the only 'official' cycle track in Leeds. Joining the towpath at the border of Rodley and Bramley, I headed West towards Bradford and just followed my nose.

I hadn't really planned on how far I'd end up, I just thought that if I got to Apperley Bridge, then that'd been at least half worthwhile.
As it turned out, I got to Apperley faster and more easily that I thought and so I continued along, eventually ending up at Shipley. At that point I headed back. The heat was getting a bit too much, the dusty track had made my mouth dry and my backside was twitching from the saddle.

As I began to head back, my derriere really started to ache. I raced on just for an excuse to get off the flipping thing.
I'm now typing this, after a 12 mile trip, unable to sit down. I've resorted to laying on the bed with the laptop. Lord only knows how I'll manage when 'nature calls'. Not only that, my hamstrings are buring as well.

The main possitive? Stopping off at the Rodley Barge on the way home and enjoying the beer garden. I probably un-did all my hard work in one swift pint! ;-)

No comments: