Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Mallorcan Diary: Pt IV.

It's show time! Or at least it was for two nights we were away on the island of Mallorca. I mentioned earlier that we booked to see 'Son Amar' and 'Pirates', well here's how we got on.




Son Amar

Every year we land in Mallorca, one of the first things we do is book onto the Son Amar excursion. This year was our third visit and we'll certainly be making another.
The 'Son Amar' experience is a four course slap up meal and a spectacular show. It costs about £50 per head (from the tour operator anyway) which sounds expensive, but it's worth every single penny and then some.

We settle in to the audatorium in our "Gold" seats (that's the middle tier of seats) and tuck into the starter, which is sort of 'Tex-mex' affair. Then, it's onto the prawn cocktail, but I'm not realyl a prawn cocktail sort of bloke, so I gave that one a miss. Instead, I had this line-up to keep me occupied:
For the uninitiated, that line-up consists of (from left to right), some champagney stuff, some orange juice stuff, some kind of white wine and a glass of water. And the best bit about it? I t was all complimentary (OK, I realise it's built into the price) and it was available on demand.
Then the chicken main course came - and went before the desert and then it was showtime!

There are some truely astounding acts on show. Mike Pidone, a multi-lingual singer and pianist who is an extremley good entertainer.
The variety of the show is unrivalled. Strahlemann & Soehne are two juggling acrobats who manage to juggle batons in between themselves whilst changing into each others suits, Duban Nikol is a trampolining comedian and there's a spectacular show of dancing, with Ballet de Espanol, Carnaval de Venecia, Ballet Moderno and the Flying Dancers. The show ends with one of the best and most lifelike Elvis tributes I've ever seen. One could be forgiven for thinking that Elvis is still alive.

After the show, they even put on a multi-million euro water show. Definatly a top night out.

Pirates

To be perfectly honest, Pirates was a bit of a downer. Not that the show was bad - far from it, it's just that it didn't really live up to the hype for my liking.
The meal, whilst not bad, wasn't as good or large as it was at Son Amar. The seating wasn't as comfortable and I was constantly pestered by the bar staff to part with my hard earned.
When you get there, you can tell why there is so much hype surrounding the show and a look in the programme suggests that the celebrity endorsements may have something to do with the fact that there's a chariety involved.

The show is excellent. Again, it's the comedy, acrobatics and dancing similar to Son Amar. As a show and a night out, its clearly much more of a kids thing.
A decent night out by all accounts, but I had to choose between the two, I'd give Pirates a miss.

Well, it looks like that's it. I can't really think of anything noteworthy to write about from my jollies, so now it looks like I'm back to writing about any old rubbish.

No comments: