Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Professional Football - What's the Attraction?

Regular readers will know that i'm a pretty avid Rugby League fan. That said, I've also taken in a number of football games in the last week or so.





Last night I headed to Elland Road for the Carling Cup game between Leeds United and Chester City. Normally, I rarely venture to Elland Road. Firstly, because I work weekends and secondly, I refuse to pay upto £30 to watch what effectively amounts to 22 people kicking a pig's scrotum around. But yesterday was different. Firstly, it wasn't a weekend and secondly, it was only £12 to get in, which is a far more reasonable price.
It was hardly a thrilling game though. Chester, who are two leagues below Leeds, set their stall out to defend and frustrate Leeds but United were absolutely dyer. The ball control was none existant, the passing was poor and the foward running was poorly executed and predictable.
Even the goal was scrappy, bouncing off various players, the post (twice) and barely trickling over the line. To be honest, given the chances that Chester had, they will probably be disappointed that they didn't win the game, or at least force extra time.

The week prior, I got dragged out to Valley Parade for Bradford City vs Bristol by a Bradford supporting mate. I thought "I could do with the laugh", so went down to watch that.
That was a better game but in all honesty, it still isn't as entertaining as rugby. There are just too many occaisions when nothing is happening. Bristol scored after a minute and both of Bradford's goals game within 20 seconds of each other. There were a few chances after that but nothing to really write home about. As it happened, that night cost me £15 but if I'd have paid the full £24, I'd have rightly felt ripped off.

For my next football fix, I'll probably be heading just to my local side Farsley. Proper salt of the earth football is that stuff.

No comments: