Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Lethal Weapon in my kitchen

We're constantly being told that the kitchen is the most dangerous room in the home. Apparently, more accidents happen there than any other room. But all these home safety boffins will ever warn you against is how you shouldn't play with gas hob, run around with knives, drink the chemicals from the cupboard under the sink or perform surgical activity with the turkey carver. What they don't tell you about is the death trap known as the corned beef tin.

Corned beef tins as you may well know, aren’t like normal circular cans that you open with a tin opener, or better yet, a ring-pull. No, the corned beef tin is some sort of prism type cube affair, with a key attached to the side.
Here's where the trouble starts. You wrap the key around this little catch and twist it around the outside of the can, and hey presto, you have your beef. Except it doesn't work like that. What happens instead is that the key usually breaks halfway around leaving you with the dilemma of getting it open.
I posted this dilemma yesterday lunchtime on a popular message board that I often frequent and currently, the post is up to 7 pages and 91 messages of ways in which I could open the said can.
After various methods, I eventually tried to prise open the offending article with a large knife and a slightly smaller knife. Needless to say, it didn't end how I envisaged with a nice corned beef sandwich. Instead it ended in utter bloodshed.
The small knife slipped, my thumb went straight into the edge that had been cut and the kitchen worktop was covered in blood.
I eventually gave up and after rummaging through the fridge, found the same product in a sliced variety.

This was at around
12:30 on Wednesday afternoon. It is now 9:30pm on Thursday and the thumb is still bleeding.
If I was American, I'd already have Princess Food's ass in court!

No comments: